View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Car rental in Tolmin? 

Hello there folks!

Does anyone know is there any places to rent a car in Tolmin? Or at least near Tolmin? Of course I know you may be crazy to come to Metal Days and drive a car, but I was just wondering would it be cool to check around some places and picturesque landscapes at Slovenia?! 8-)

Thanks!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm

yhtä helvettiä lähtee siellä autoilemaan. koko tolmin on ihan tukossa. lisäksi eipä sitä paljoo jaksa siinä helteessä liikkua krapulassa autollakaan.

jotkut käy patikoimassa tms mutta tuo autoilu idea on aika tyhjä arpa. ei festariviikko ole sopiva aika tai paikka slovenian kiertelyyn, joten suosittelen että teet(te) tämän ENNEN festaria (viikon rymyämisen jälkeen ei kyllä kiinnosta festareitten jälkeen kuin oma sänky)

auto muutenkin kannattaa vuokrata lentokentältä viikoksi ja ajaa sillä tolminiin

///
edit: same in english

driving in tolmin at metaldays week is pure hell - theres so much people in that small village so even going to the shop by car is hard.
+ theres so hot that you dont want to do much sightseeing with those hang overs youll get from heavy drinking

some people go hiking to that nature park and so on but driving around at metalday week is pretty pointless IMO. festival week is not the right time to see slovenia when theres so much going on at the festival area. I recommend that if some people want to see slovenia - do that BEFORE the festival starts! during the MD you just want to chill & relax and after metaldays you are so tired that only thing you want to do is to go home into your own bed!

anyway if youre looking to rent a car - rent it from the airport and drive it to tolmin

Memnoch wrote:
The roads around Tolmin are in a really good condition.

but mountain roads are pretty narrow so you cannot drive that fast - it takes time to drive between places

Last edited by Lifemocker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:16 pm

I'll stick to English, since (I hope) other people might find this useful too.

Last year we rented a car at the Ljubljana airport for the week. We rented a minivan (a seven seater) and it cost us around 200 euros (road tolls included).
Well, ok, I don't suffer from hangovers, and apparently my trained liver burns alcohol fairly fast, so we drove around the area almost every day. There's loads to see, so if you're looking for something more than just the festival experience, do go and see the surrounding area. Kozjak waterfall is only a short drive away, or you could drive to Bovec and take a ski lift up to Mount Kanin, or even drive to Bled. The roads around Tolmin are in a really good condition.
We're thinking of renting a car this year too even if we're staying in a hotel.

So, like Lifemocker stated, rent the car at the airport. It's useless to pay for the shuttle buses if you're renting a car anyhow. Check rentalcars.com and autoeurope.com for nice deals on rentals.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:54 pm

We have either driven and had our car or we have hired from airport on other times.. It is stunning in the area and loads to see - no problem with driving in the area and if you pitch your tent in the outer fields near the free showers and 'other' beach area then y ou can get in and out quite easy. Drop us a message if you want some ideas of places to go that are local as we have done just about everything from Caves to swimming in the med on day trips - Bled is a great and you can get a car train thru the mt from Most Na Soci - they go 4 times a day etc.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 am

Quote:
yhtä helvettiä lähtee siellä autoilemaan. koko tolmin on ihan tukossa. lisäksi eipä sitä paljoo jaksa siinä helteessä liikkua krapulassa autollakaan.

jotkut käy patikoimassa tms mutta tuo autoilu idea on aika tyhjä arpa. ei festariviikko ole sopiva aika tai paikka slovenian kiertelyyn, joten suosittelen että teet(te) tämän ENNEN festaria (viikon rymyämisen jälkeen ei kyllä kiinnosta festareitten jälkeen kuin oma sänky)

auto muutenkin kannattaa vuokrata lentokentältä viikoksi ja ajaa sillä tolminiin

///
edit: same in english

driving in tolmin at metaldays week is pure hell - theres so much people in that small village so even going to the shop by car is hard. You can rent in may companies such as europcar, hertz, avis,
ganxorent, alamo, sirent.com, enterprise..
+ theres so hot that you dont want to do much sightseeing with those hang overs youll get from heavy drinking

some people go hiking to that nature park and so on but driving around at metalday week is pretty pointless IMO. festival week is not the right time to see slovenia when theres so much going on at the festival area. I recommend that if some people want to see slovenia - rent a car and do that BEFORE the festival starts! during the MD you just want to chill & relax and after metaldays you are so tired that only thing you want to do is to go home into your own bed!

Anyway if youre looking to rent a car - rent it from the airport and drive it to tolmin

Quote:
The roads around Tolmin are in a really good condition.

but mountain roads are pretty narrow so you cannot drive that fast - it takes time to drive between places

Thanks for the information. I just thought of a couple more questions I had about Slovenia:

1) Does Ljubljana have anything equivalent to the hip and modern "designer" boutique hotels that seem to be cropping up in every other European city? I've been doing research for months and haven't come across many appealing options. The closest seems to be the City Hotel Ljubljana. Any other suggestions? From airport I can go with the car or its better to guy by shuttle? :?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 am

Polfernandez wrote:

1) Does Ljubljana have anything equivalent to the hip and modern "designer" boutique hotels that seem to be cropping up in every other European city? I've been doing research for months and haven't come across many appealing options. The closest seems to be the City Hotel Ljubljana. Any other suggestions?

wtf - when going abroad hotel is just for sleeping so pick some cheap one (from booking for example) and enjoy other things. You dont (hopefully) spend much time in your hotel room (or atleast you shouldnt) so no need to get very expensive/luxury one

Polfernandez wrote:
From airport I can go with the car or its better to guy by shuttle? :?

renting a car alone is more expensive than shuttle but if youre not alone rent a car. If youre alone - try to get a ride from somebody, those shuttles are expensive

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:20 am

Polfernandez wrote:
1) Does Ljubljana have anything equivalent to the hip and modern "designer" boutique hotels that seem to be cropping up in every other European city? I've been doing research for months and haven't come across many appealing options. The closest seems to be the City Hotel Ljubljana. Any other suggestions? From airport I can go with the car or its better to guy by shuttle? :?

This comes to my mind: http://hotelnox.com/ It is not really in the inner city, you need to take the city bus but the bus stop is directly at the hotel. Two other interesting options are the Celica and Tresor hostels. Not sure if that is something you would consider.

T.H.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah, unless you're fancy pants, ex military prison at Metelkova now in use as popular hostel Celica may be way to go.

http://www.hostelcelica.com/en/art-host ... cept-12846
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metelkova

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]