View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Feedback MD 2017 

First of all I want to thank the whole Metaldays crew for a great festival! I am pretty sure this year was not an easy one. The weather was a bit annoying on Monday but we survived! My feedback might sound a bit negative but I just want to point out that those are really minor things that would never convince me of not coming back. I already have a ticket for next year!

The good

1. Showers
Water was most of the time hot or at least warm when I used them. Of course I avoided the typical rush hours. The best thing was that they were open for so long. I used them usually after the last band on main stage. Please keep them open for so long also in the future!
2. Toilets
It was nice to have a proper toilet that flushes. Even if there were only three, there was never much of a line for women. Toilet paper was usually also somewhere available.
3. Updates on FB
Thank you for all the regular updates on FB! With all the crazy weather we had it was good to know what is up and being up to date all the time.
4. Box office
I think you finally came up with the perfect solution of where to get the wristands (box office at Hofer, not in the woods anymore) without any confusion.
5. Clean river
I got the impression people finally stopped littering the river so much. Our group picked up for the whole week maybe 3 empty floating beer cans and that was about it. I hope it stays like that in the future or gets even better!
6. "Takeshi's castle"
That's how I called the plastic way from the info point to the warm showers. That was a very good idea. Especially when there was water you could easily manage around there. Keep this solution!

The bad

1. Parking
Please make sure staff knows how to properly direct people. We arrived on Friday evening and despite all of us being regular visitors in our tiredness we were without a question sent with our car to the camping area D. We thought we might get to the parking only area through there but ended up on the small hill where the staff there helped us with turning and lifting the red tape to get to that area.
2. Wristbands
That clasp is still so uncomfortable and this year it didn't really hold that well. We had to tie knots to make it hold properly. Not to mention I saw people taking it off and on. No use of the very strict wristand controls if you can take them on and off easily.
3. Dirty showers/toilets
I know you can't do anything about people being pigs but that's why you have or hire people to clean it up! The volunteers were mainly sitting in the tent, the only work I personally saw was sweeping the water from the floor. Many times people had to ask about the toilet paper although as far as I understood, it should be their job to make sure it is always available. But as the week went on the situation got worse and worse. Especially in the toilets to the point you could basically vomit on Friday evening/Saturday morning because it looked so bad. One of the problems was also because you didn't really have something like a shelf to put the toilet paper on. And so it happened many times that it fell on the floor and no one wanted to touch it again. Also the showers and especially the sinks were a pain. Get a few students or part time people and have them clean every hour! Clean = wash sinks, remove trash, hair, pick up toilet paper rests,... Sell the 1000 tickets for 120EUR not 119. Put 0,50EUR of some additional fee when ordering the ticket from the website and you have more than enough money to finally sort that. Thank you for finally putting at least some bin bags so you could throw away thrash. A lot of people were still being pigs. It would be also nice to have some kind of hooks in all of the showers. The first shower container was like that, the second one didn't have them, the third one I didn't visit.
4. Squatting toilets
I am not sure what was the idea behind those. Some of us are not true Slavs and can't properly squat so you always had to hold on to something, haha. Which probably explained why some people damaged the toilet paper holders. They were not really practical but ok to use when there was a queue at the other toilets and you just wanted to do a short pee trip. Please try to have all the proper toilets next year.
5. Dishwashing in camping area B
Why have you removed the silver sinks? Those you had now at the camping area B entrance at the main road. The green »houses« are so not practical and hot during the day! And people still pee there! Please, bring them back, they are way more hygenic.
6. Merchandise
I wanted to buy only the tickets for next year and since I didn't want to risk of them selling out, I went already on Monday. Only 2 (or 3 maybe) people were working. You had to line up for more than an hour. You should really have more people working that day. If you wanted to buy merchandise later, a lot of it was sold out. So yeah, also maybe more merch stuff so people are not disappointed. And a big thank you for the black haired girl/woman who I was told was the boss there. I managed to »upgrade« some tickets I bought before without a hassle even though that took some time. She was really nice as was everyone working there!
7. Silent hours
I am aware of the fact that this is a festival but if you set a rule, then please enforce it. I had some really loud neighbours (but just talking, well maybe a bit shouting) which is ok but what annoyed me is someone with a megaphone or something at one of the days turning it on or something at 4 or 5AM. That was annoying.
8. Toilets at second stage
Or the lack of them. Those were a bit far away. You had only the things for peeing there. Or I missed something.
9. Path through camping area B
This is getting more and more of a problem with more and more people camping there every year. Please put also here the red tape. One part of the area was ok because there were a lot of us who are there every year and made sure people don't camp just everywhere. It is not fun to constantly trip over tent lines getting around the area. If all other roads can be marked why can't you do that also here?
10. Batushka screw up
You already apologized but it sucked anyway. We were staying up just to see them and then we missed them. Maybe bring them back next year.
11. No locks on Dixies
Only 3 Dixies int the camping area B had locks (out of maybe 8-10?)! And that didn't happen during the week. Already on Friday they were broken!
12. Car in camping area B
If there are rules everyone has to stick to them. Someone had a car and a generator at the fence almost next to the people checking wristbands. Not ok.

Question
This is something we've been wondering this week and would really like an answer. For the last 3-4 years a large group of Austrians is camping in camping area B. Last year they built a tower, this year they had a construction with two towers from where they were watching the concerts. It was about 6m high? Or more maybe more. Is that even allowed? I have to admit I started caring where I camp when the storms hit. One damaged one of the stages. Who guarantees that these constructions are safe? What would happen if a part flew off and someone was injured?

T.H.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Again, thanks for an amazing festival. As always, there where things to improve but the overall experience was great as always. Since the feedback above is already pretty detail and contains the major points, my one will be a lot shorter, since I don't want to repeat anything, good or bad.

The good:

1. Staff:
Always nice and helpful. Maybe not always 100% sure regarding information but they were always able to contact someone who new. That was not always the case in the past. Also the organisation during and after the storms was a pretty good job. That had to be a nightmare for any organiser.

2. Bands:
I was not sure if I liked the line up before I went there this year. But after taking a closer look, I found quite some bands I really wouldn't have seen if they weren't on a festival.

3. Hofer:
Maybe slovenian Hofer has a slightly different concept than german aldi, but I was surprised by the selection of food and goods there. Of course, they did not have everything but therefore it was no problem to get that stuff from other places. And of course, they take care of the trash afterwards which is pretty good, obviously.

The bad:

1. Information about running order changes:
Of course, you had facebook, info point and main stage screens. But you should synchronise these different platforms better. Also, I am not sure if there was an info point at second stage. That would also help, I guess.

2. Hofer:
Also a negative thing: I know, that this mass of people at one time at a supermarket can be hard to handle but having to wait 30 minutes at the check-out is too long. Maybe you could pass this on to them for next year.

3. Parking price:
30 € is quite a lot. I know, that you did your calculations for that and I can't and don't want to look into your books but still, it is a lot.

4. Band cancellations:
Maybe not under your control but this year there were a lot last minute cancellations. Might have pissed of some people.

5. People leaving their thrash:
Again not your fault but I am not willing to pay higher ticket prices because more and more people leave their shit at the campgrounds after leaving.

Thanks for your answers!

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Cons:
-lineup sucked
-Whats the point of group camping if its open for everyone before whole group even arrives??
-Md is becoming expensive
-no info about timetable changes
-no big beers at 2nd stage
-food portions were usually small and expensive
-once again some sounds problems at main stage
-It would be nice to have atleast one place which serves food 24/7
-Organizers didn't care much about muddy roads

Pros:
+trollmean!!
+2nd stage had awesome sound

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

My 10 cents for what its worth. As ever I had a fantastic time at MD and for every grumble I have, there are at least 10 things to praise. The things listed here are just the ones that spring to mind and overall MD is still, in my opinion, the best festival out there and I will be back next year.

Pros
• Security for the most part were excellent this year, I know their job can’t be easy especially with people shouting at them in 20 different languages
• Changes to the lineup were notified as well as I think is possible

Cons
• The campsite toilets were not emptied or even cleaned anywhere near enough. I was camped by the road entrance near the unfinished house. Those toilets were overflowing for most of the festival
• Garbage points were not open early enough or late enough.
• Lineup – I know it’s been said before (and don't expect this to be addressed here) but it was nowhere near as high quality for the most part as previous years. That said I did see some great bands whenever I headed down and was able to save money by drinking in camp most of the time so maybe it is for the best
• Manson – 55minutes. What was the point?
• Paycard – My paycard went missing on Saturday night. Either lost or stolen (no idea which). There’s absolutely nothing to link the paycard to anything meaning I lost 50euros straight off. Someone somewhere will have found/stolen that and had a free 50euro card. Surely by now the technology is there to link cards to tickets or wristbands. I’d much rather pay a nominal fee (5 or 10euros) than have no card for the entire festival.

That will do, I’m sure there’s more but they will get covered by others. Keep up the good work and I’ll see you next year

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:14 am

jonnny wrote:
• Changes to the lineup were notified as well as I think is possible

-when infopoint and facebook says that Batushka is playing 01:50 and screens on mainstage 00:15 its fucked up completely
-I was checking from internet & facebook that Equilibrium starts 19:35 but hey they suddenly started 19:15 - again absolutely no info about this
just to name a few

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 am

Nothing to complain from my side.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 am
Profile WWW

I had a blast. Some fantastic shows (Katatonia, Opeth, Blues Pills, Solstafir, Shining...). And the fest is getting better and better. I already bought tickets for the next year. Thank for all the improvements!

Pros:
+ the 3rd stage (amazing newcomer bands, decent sound, nice atmosphere, beautiful views).
+ The lineup.
+ Bevog black blood. Amazing. More please! :lol:
+ The newspaper. But I would like it to change more from day to day next year. More information on the bands of the day would be awesome. Also news about the camps, maybe discounts of the day etc. The collapsed stage should make it to the headlines, for example.
+ Clean toilets (where we were camping).
+ The way you handled the storms. Great work.
+ No dogs this year. Finally!
+ Warm showers.
+ Hofer never ran out of... anything? They even had fresh sandwiches, craft beer etc.
+ Craft beer at the festival. So many local producers, great.

Cons
- Some people drove with their cars to the camping only area and left it there for the whole week. Not acceptable.
- On the last day (Saturday) quite a few locals (all of the cars were registered in GO) drove with their cars into the camping only area. When we tried to do the same the security told us that this is strictly prohibited. How is this possible? The rules should be applied equally, no exceptions.
- I was very upset that you didn't inform us properly about the lineup changes on the NF stage. An example: on the 27th the band Zayn should play in the late afternoon. at 13:29 you posted on Facebook that their show was rescheduled and that they will play at 13:30. Beg your pardon? This is not acceptable, me and my friends missed the show and I imagine that the band was also not really happy about this treatment.
- The prices of food are getting a bit expensive, to put it mildly. 12 EUR for a burger, 6 EUR for an ice cream, 6 EUR for a vegan kebab. 6 EUR for the black blood beer was also quite a lot. I know that it's a limited edition craft beer, but 6 EUR for a 0.33L can is quite a steep price.
- The quality of the food suffered this year. Don't get me wrong, there is still a big variety of food available, but it was for example not possible to get a good medium rare burger (I missed the 7burger place). The vegan kebab was also not really good. What a shame, this was my favourite food at Metaldays. The food in Kulinaristan was on the other hand very nice.
- No information about the running order at the 2nd stage or on the 3rd stage. Is it really that hard to just print it out and glue it somewhere so people are informed about which band is performing?
- Please inform Hofer that they should hire more staff. During the festival all 4 cash registers should be opened, at all times. Usually the queues were killing me.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks for another great iteration of MetalDays, we had a blast.

Some points I noticed, besides the points already mentioned:

+ The beach bar was much better this year than the last years, for example this was the first time the DJ played decent music (YMMV). Now, just get rid of the volleyball field and add more of these giant djenga games :)
+ You did a great job, fixing up the main paths after the heavy rain.
+ I love the look of the beduine tents used this year for some of the bars and the slovenian village.

- I don't know why, but anytime I wanted to buy one of these 1 EUR beers to have a cold drink on the way from the camp ground to the stage or back, the stall was closed. Last years Hells Kitchen had better opening hours.
- I really missed the cold showers scattered around the camping ground (especially near the cemetary).

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:09 pm

All in all, MD 2017 was a really good Festival, there were only two points, I did not like at all.

[*]The toillets were really bad this year. It seems the got emptied only once a day, so nearly all of them were complettely full and swapped over. The last two years, they were always really clean.

[*]At camping only area, we always try to make a path, through the camping area, so people don't have to walk through the tents. But people, which come later, always camp in the middle of the path. I think it would be really good, when there is a marked path, were camping is not allowed.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 pm

here is my opinion:
the good:
- quite a few great bands
- the fence with a spot where i could hang my stuff next to the open showers was a nice touch.
- i found the portable toilets near my camp in a good state any time i choose to use them
- free monsters

the bad:
- xandria canceling(i know, they r human too. but i was looking forward to that show)
- the giant puddle of mud on a crossroads near our camp didn't get addressed at all.
- the food was quite expensive. i pretty much tried something from every vendor and was dissapointed each time. there was a burger spot(7 burgers i think it was called) at the camp last year and their stuff was great
- what the fuck is the point of having to gather 30+ numbers to register an organized group if u start letting people drive into the organized group area as soon as people r able to enter the camp wo extra payment?
- no one i talked to actually came to metaldays to see the Manson clown.(except for the people who only came for his show) he had a 90 minute slot and played 30 minutes of actual music. please don't waste our ticket money on people like him again.
- we can't drive out of the camp even if we need to go to a town that is an hours drive away? i get that going to Hofer and back is a bad thing when there is mud. but u can't ban exiting the fucking camp.
- plz give us more ways to find out about line up changes.(a screen near the food points would be nice) the mobile network had 5x the number of users it usually has so the sites wouldn't even load and going to the stage to stare at a screen for 3 minutes is not anyones idea of fun.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next