View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Tacis and bike parking at Metaldays? 

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling from Finland to Metaldays this year for the first time ever, decided to invest Metaldays instead on Wacken for a change.

We're staying in an apartment in Tolmin which is about 5 km from the festival area. We were planning to rent bikes to go back aand forth during the week. I understood it's quite difficult to get a taxi at night.

First of all, any experience about the taxi availability in the festival area and/or village at nights? I got some phone numbers for the taxi companies from the Tourist Info in Tolmin, but just thinking is there any change to get a taxi unless prebooked (wouldn't wanna prebook, kinda boring to set the time when you need to leave - wanna party until uable to anymore:-))

Second question is, since we've never been there before. Is there any safe place to leave bikes during the festival days? It would be so easy to just drive by bike there and then back to our accommodation when we want not chasing taxis all night. Yeah yeah, I know the risks of being so hammered by the end of the day, that we would be unable to drive anyways but still :-D :-D

And I know that the best Metaldays experience would be to stay at Campsite, but I guess we're too old for that shit as Van Damme would say :-D

Gratefull of any tips!

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

If your apartment ist really directly in Tolmin, you should not worry about bikes or taxis. You can easily walk. It is not more than 15 minutes.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Helpointa kävellä.

Pyörän voi varmasti jättää minne vaan, mutta Tolminissa on jokunen tuhat kännistä tyyppiä, ettei välttämättä ole takuita missään, ettei niille mitään tapahdu. Takseja on varmasti turha edes etsiä kun koko kylä muutenkin ihan tukossa tuon viikon.

////

Easiest way is to walk.

There is several thousand drunken people in Tolmin so nobody cannot guaranteen that nothing happens to the bikes no matter where you leave them. IMO taxis are no go, Tolmin is so packed during that week that it might be impossible to get one (when you want/need it).

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks for help and replies. As I figured, walking is most likely the only option. I know after all day of rocking and drinking +5 km walking is not a bliss, but what can you do.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:45 am

It is possible to avoid the 5km walk...by camping ;)

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm

There may be really few thousands drunk people as Lifemocker said, but generally people at festival are nice, they generally don't bother each other (although no one can guarantee you anything) + Tolmin with small 2k population also isn't some crime-risky town, so I can still see biking as viable option.
What I suggest you is to come there and see by yourself, observe surroundings and then decide to rent or not to rent bike. It's actually nice idea to have bike there to make some short tour to see some other interesting and nice places around Tolmin.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:12 pm

I would guess you could leave the bikes at the Hofer supermarket which borders directly to the festival area. They have those things that you put bikes in and you could easily lock them.

T.H.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am

I was thinking the same. Hofer store near festival entrance have those sturdy bike racks.
Something like this:
(other Hofer, but you got the idea...)

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks again for all the great tips for all. That Hofer idea with the bikes sounds great. It's close and seems good place to lock the bikes :-)

We also ended up renting a rent, cause we didn't wanna miss all the great parties at the Campsite. We are arriving couple of days earlier to Tolmin and also staying there a few days after the Metaldays, so we needed another acommmodation as well. Now we can combine the best parts of everything, Metaldays, Campsite and enjoying Tolmin area.

I just can't wait anymore :-) :-)

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:04 am

Eruanne wrote:
I would guess you could leave the bikes at the Hofer supermarket which borders directly to the festival area. They have those things that you put bikes in and you could easily lock them.

Im not usually worried about theft, more that if somebody gets an idea to destroy them otherwise

Vipander wrote:
We also ended up renting a rent

eh its A LOT cheaper to buy a tent from local store than rent one ;) there is tents in festival supermarket as well

many people buy a cheap tent and then just abandon it when festival is over (if you cannot take it with you)

//

sitten nuo kaikki metaldays bussikyydit on ihan helvetin kalliita, niin me ollaan vuokrattu auto viikoksi, päästään siirtymään ljubljana-tolmin välit sillä ja sinne saa kamat turvaan leirissä

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]