View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Band Merch 

Hello!
2018 will be our second visit to Metaldays and we can not wait!!! We were there in 2016 and it was epic.

I have a question regarding band merchandise, specifically merchandise for 3rd and 4th tier bands. We are from the States, and here bands make most of their money from merchandise sales. I always make it a point to buy something from them (specifically opening acts) to support their tour. When we were at Metaldays last year we noticed that not all bands are represented at the merchandise booth, why is this? For me this is the only way I would be able to buy a CD or shirt from bands like Mist, Morana or Eruption, because shipping to the US is so expensive. To be honest, we would have spent 5x as much money on merchandise if it was available.

Cheers,
Mike

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 pm

piglickers wrote:
Hello!
2018 will be our second visit to Metaldays and we can not wait!!! We were there in 2016 and it was epic.

I have a question regarding band merchandise, specifically merchandise for 3rd and 4th tier bands. We are from the States, and here bands make most of their money from merchandise sales. I always make it a point to buy something from them (specifically opening acts) to support their tour. When we were at Metaldays last year we noticed that not all bands are represented at the merchandise booth, why is this? For me this is the only way I would be able to buy a CD or shirt from bands like Mist, Morana or Eruption, because shipping to the US is so expensive. To be honest, we would have spent 5x as much money on merchandise if it was available.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi MIke,
Every band can sell own Merch if they want to. Most of smaller bands do not have Merch at all...this may be the reason.
Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/MetalDaysFestival

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for the response! We look forward to another amazing experience at Metaldays in 2018 and supporting all the awesome bands that play Metaldays.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:58 am

Hey piglickers,

Though not an expert, I'd say that a lot of the smaller bands can't afford bringing along full box(es) of merch as it increasing travelling cost quite a bit (particularly if taking a plane). So many small bands don't bring merch to festivals.

I'd recommend contacting directly the band a few days/weeks before the fest, asking them to bring along a t-shirt/cd/whatever you want from them so they can sell it to you directly at the festival (arrange meeting spot!). Most small bands are cool dealing this way.

Hope it helps.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:55 am

Hello Wombat!

Thanks of the insight, I guess I'm just use to bands in the states driving from town to town with there equipment and merch with help from the head lining band, I never thought about the flying part. That's a great idea about reaching out to these bands before the festival, I will definitely give that a go! Thanks

Piglickers

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 pm

There's another inconvenience for foreign bands which want to sell merch in Slovenia. Sale regulations.
Foreign band can't just sell merch by themself. This needs to go via registered slovenian business entity which charge VAT (value added tax) and need to give to buyer printed bill. This may introduce some additional costs for those who have merch to sell and make sale less appealing.

Last edited by Rockster on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm

This is so unfortunate. I hate when politics get in the way of art. I know foreign bands have similar issues with coming here to the US, we make it next to impossible for bands to be profitable while on tour here. Thank you for the info.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Law is law. If you make exceptions for artist, then everyone will start asking for them.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]