View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Accommodation in Tolmin? 
Author Message

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:05 pm
Posts: 2
I'm traveling from South Africa for the festival and want to spend a few days in Tolmin afterwards. Want to know what there is in the way of affordable accommodation in Tolmin. Preferably a backpacker's hostel. All I've been able to find so far is a "Hostel Paradiso" which does not bother to respond to emails, online booking queries or Facebook messages - maybe they have closed down or something... :roll:


Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 pm
Posts: 65
Tough one. Tolmin is very small place (a bit over 3k habitants) and most accomodations around festival date are reserved months (year?) upfront. Especially the cheapest ones.
Another issue is public transportation connectivity. Slovenia is small, you may get something decent only few kilometres away, but this does not helps you in the middle of the night when bands stops playing if you don't have a car.

Terms to search via google: "nastanitve tolmin", "prenočišče tolmin", "apartmaji tolmin"...

Is camping option? You can buy in slovenia smaller tent for 50€ or so. Alternatively: http://www.metaldays.net/1001/rent-a-tent

Personally I wouldn't want to sleep at metaldays anywhere else than in tent. That's how one get the most out of this festival. However you coming from far away, with all the luggage, etc... I can see this can be uncomfortable.


edit.
You can try your luck also with contacting TIC tomin (tourist info centre)

Quote:
LTO Sotočje - TIC Tolmin
Petra Skalarja 4
SI - 5220 Tolmin
T: 05 380 04 80
E: info@lto-sotocje.si


Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 3:17 pm
Posts: 21
Last metaldays I stayed in the festival ground for a few days after the festival was over, just leaving my tent at the same place.


Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:26 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:05 pm
Posts: 2
Thanks for the information! Will contact the TIC and look into accommodation in the surrounding area. :)

Planning on using a tent for the actual festival (bringing a small light-weight hiking tent with me from SA) - I agree that one definitely loses out on the festival atmosphere staying in a hotel etc! Wanted to stay in Tolmin itself for two days or so after the festival to recover and check out the area.


Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 am
Posts: 320
Location: Kuopio, Finland
Or try bohinj


Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:47 am
Profile

Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 pm
Posts: 65
Lordhazil wrote:
Last metaldays I stayed in the festival ground for a few days after the festival was over, just leaving my tent at the same place.


Can you tell us more, what's left, what's gone? Toilets and sinks with fresh drinking water are most likely removed soon after festival ends? Security most likely the same? Were you (and your company) there alone or some other campers left?
And no one bothered you over that time? I heard that locals start to plunder abandoned tents soon after festival is over.

Although I don't plan to stay any longer (after 7 days there's nothing better than hot shower and real bed for my old bones) I am genuinely curious how things (atmosphere, surrounding, people...) look like two, three days after festival. Usually I see just images of clean area like nothing happened there.


Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:48 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Kyiv
I think it's a biggest problem of this festival. At least, for me and my mother and for people who don't want to camp. We've been on many festivals and ALWAYS could find where to stay - near the festival area or a little further (but taxi or shuttle were available). MD is a very dissapointing experience so far. We didn't find a place to stay and decided not to come. It's sad because we've lost 300€.


Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 pm
Posts: 65
It's actually sad. We, Slovenians, like to boast about our readiness for tourism, about how much we have to offer to visitors, how close is everything, etc... But when it come to this we're not ready even for basic transportation between NEAREST places to sleep.
You're not camping inside festival area and don't have own car? Tough luck...


Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 am
Posts: 320
Location: Kuopio, Finland
Rockster wrote:
It's actually sad. We, Slovenians, like to boast about our readiness for tourism, about how much we have to offer to visitors, how close is everything, etc... But when it come to this we're not ready even for basic transportation between NEAREST places to sleep.


Ive noticed also that your roads are not ment for lot of cars either since they go through villages and get REALLY narrow - really hard to drive there and it slows down the traffic (lots of bottlenecks)


Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:32 am
Profile

Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 3:17 pm
Posts: 21
Rockster wrote:
Lordhazil wrote:
Last metaldays I stayed in the festival ground for a few days after the festival was over, just leaving my tent at the same place.


Can you tell us more, what's left, what's gone? Toilets and sinks with fresh drinking water are most likely removed soon after festival ends? Security most likely the same? Were you (and your company) there alone or some other campers left?
And no one bothered you over that time? I heard that locals start to plunder abandoned tents soon after festival is over.

Although I don't plan to stay any longer (after 7 days there's nothing better than hot shower and real bed for my old bones) I am genuinely curious how things (atmosphere, surrounding, people...) look like two, three days after festival. Usually I see just images of clean area like nothing happened there.

I think I was there for about 3 or 4 days after the festival was over.. There were still showers and water (maybe they leave those for the other festivals.. or maybe people still work there, because when I left there was still a lot of trash, someone probably had to clean it up)
The first night after the festival I think there were about 200 of us, we scavanged the whole area, found a shitton of booze and food and had a great party. Most people left the next day and by the last night I was there with just 2 other guys, occasionally you would see someone else.
And yea people do plunder, I wouldn't leave my stuff alone for more than an hour..


Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.