View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Travel Package from UK?? 

Hubby and I have wanted to go to this for years but I worried about all the booking needed, I'm forced to mess something up
I don't suppose there's a package you can book is there? with flight, transfers, accommodation, etc in.

I realise I'm sounding like a whiner but every-time I look into this there more thing I didn't consider.

Whats luggage transfer?? surely thats part of 'your' transfer isn't it??
tourist tax? I know its a small amount, but paid to whom and how?
accommodation? I don't think we'd camp (read as too old for that! :S ) and I cant see much info on how far the rooms and apartments are from the site.

please dont read the above as a whine, read it as a worried, stress head battling her fears :)

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:26 am

I'm afraid there's no official travel package from the UK so it will have to be done individually. There was a flight arranged a few years back but that got cancelled due to lack of numbers.

Depending on where you live travel to Tolmin can be done fairly cheaply but is a little convoluted. The best places to fly to from the UK are Ljubljana, Trieste or Venice (either Marco Polo or Treviso works fine). From all of these places there are official transfers to the festival or you can do it on your own using public transport. We tend to fly out a day or 2 early and have a couple of days somewhere like Ljubljana which is well worth a visit.

Not sure what you mean by luggage transfer but you will almost certainly need hold luggage for the flight even if you don’t camp. The festival is a week long if you get there on the Saturday!

Tourist tax is just something that is added on to your bill if you stay in a hotel or at the festival, it goes directly to the Government as far as I’m aware and you have no choice but to pay it, its cheap though so you don’t feel fleeced.

Accommodation: There is some accommodation in the local area but most of it will be sold out by now. Tolmin is only a small town so there aren’t many places about. Best bet is to get onto a website such as Booking.com and see what you can find in the local area but they will probably be very expensive. Unless you happen to own a caravan or are willing to drive the only other option is to camp.

Hope this all helps. Feel free to ask any questions, sent you a pm with my Facebook on if you prefer to ask on there
I can promise you it is well worth the effort

Jonny

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply jonnny
I think I saw something about the flight from UK at the time, which was why I had it in my mind it was one less thing to sort myself.

I looked up the luggage transfer again, its a free service to get your luggage from the coach to your camp site or town. so that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm actually thinking of booking for 2018, we're at Bloodstock this year, but was thinking of combining a festival with a 'sun' holiday for next year.

Am wondering if we might be able to camp (we did at Download and Bloodstock for years) we just decided to treat ourselves the last few years, but I wonder if the better climate might make it a more forgiving environment. would certainly make it cheaper, not just accommodation but travelling every day.

Do you camp? how do you find it? and whats the age range like? We're 40 year old toddlers (according to my mother who has a lot of theories about arrested development!!) wouldn't want to be the oldies at the party!

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 pm

If you are looking at 2018 then hotels are actually a possibility as they are already available online I believe.

As for camping, I do it every year with no problems. This year there's 3 people in our group over the age of 40 (one who just turned 50) so you certainly wouldn't be out of place. A large proportion of the campsite allows cars next to the tents so taking larger items from the UK is also possible if you drive.

The climate is favorable for camping although it can get very hot, if you are in the open it can be unbearable to be in the tent from 7-8am. The alternative is to try and find a spot in the woods but these fill up quickly.

Even though it is a longer festival, I find the camping more comfortable than Download due to the size of the campsite and the closeness of the supermarkets, the river is a godsend too. One thing that always amazes me is how prepared some of the groups are with generators, fridges, marquees. Compared to the UK you get scowled at for lighting a match

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 pm

easy:

book a flight to ljubljana, rent car from there, drive to tolmin, go camping with tent - done

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]